90-Second Newbery Film Festival

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away I was an elementary teacher (and by "far, far" I mean up until June of last year), so when I saw a posting on the A.V Club's website about the 90-Second Newbery Film Festival I couldn't help but to be intrigued. Author James Kennedy, in conjunction with the New York Public Library, has created a contest encouraging people to create 90-second reenactments of Newbery award winners using mostly kids. If I were still teaching fourth or fifth grade this would be something that I would definitely consider doing, as it is a fun, challenging way to get kids involved in quality literature.

The contest was just announced in January, so they're still getting the whole project up and running. I'm excited to see the entries as they come in, and of course the winner when it is announced next fall (the films will premier at the festival in New York). For now, though, here's an example done by Kennedy and his crew of kids of A Wrinkle In Time (can be found on Kennedy's site or youtube):


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS