The Good, the Bad, and the Okay- April Reviews

I'm proud of myself- still maintaining a steady pace of three books a month. Not a PR by any means, but maybe enough to qualify me for- okay, I'll stop. I have a half marathon on Sunday and am trying to get motivated. Not working. Here's April:

The Good
The Solitude of Prime Numbers
by Paolo Giordano

288 pages
This was
book club's second selection (funny story- we were actually supposed to go to Giordano's reading but got our times mixed up and ended up discussing the book stuck in traffic on the 60 freeway- oops), and we all really loved it. The novel describes two young Italians and the events that cause them to grow into broken, wounded adults that end up trying to find strength to live their lives. This novel makes you wonder how exactly the tragedies we experience in our youth impact who we grow into as adults.


The Ba
d
Miss New India
by Bharati Mukherjee

336 pages

I may
be a little harsh with the term "bad," but I really didn't enjoy this book I snagged from Amazon Vine's program. I read one of Mukherjee's collections in college and thought that this might be an interesting take on a woman trying to find social and financial independence in modern India. I was wrong. The dull plot and flat characters ruin Mukherjee's still decent prose.

The Okay
K
ara Goucher's Running for Women by Kara Goucher
320 pages
I have
a bit of a girl-crush on Olympic runner and new mom Kara Goucher (hmm, this fits nicely with my previous post on Dorian Gray), so I was very excited when she published her guide earlier this month. Unfortunately, it was geared more towards beginners and had some annoying "dead Kara" and "I love this quote" sections that got old. There were some interesting ideas though, (getting a good night of sleep before the night of a race isn't that big of a deal as long as you are generally well-rested) and I appreciated the chapter about running while pregnant (for future reference).

So, buy and read The Solitude of Prime Numbers, stay away from that bore Miss New India, and only read Goucher's book if you're a beginner, pregnant, or a huge fan.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about Kara's book. I've been excited to read it and it's good to have a balanced review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was the half? Thanks for the info on the Kara book--I find that a lot of running books are geared towards beginners and restate a lot of the same basic knowledge (eat right, sleep, don't overtrain, blah blah...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with
    us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to
    my followers! Terrific blog and amazing design and style.



    My weblog: Dragon City Cheat Engine

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS