Peace Out, Oprah!

I've made it no secret that I hate Oprah- I think she's annoying, self-serving and obnoxious. I have mixed feelings about her infamous book club, as it does help sell books and get people to read, but also demonstrates her power to stir the masses. I just read an interesting article by Hillary Kelly on the New Republic's site that says a lot of the things I've thought over the years. To quickly sum up "our" thoughts, Oprah's Book Club should retire along with her because:

1. She doesn't even pick the books.
2. She force feeds the readers the main ideas, both on the show and on her website- one of the best parts of reading is figuring things out on your own! Kelly says that Oprah has been "bottling an experience and selling it on daytime television."
3.Recommendations should come from more creative, grassroots places that have their heart, not their pocketbooks in the right place (Goodreads, blogs, book groups, college classes, etc...)
4. I really hate hesitating to buy a book because that damn "O" is on the cover.

While I have to give Oprah credit for the empire she's created, I don't have to like her one bit. Unfortunately, I'm sure we haven't heard the last of her- she doesn't seem like one to stay out the limelight for long.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone else shares my feelings on Oprah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been a fan of Oprah. My mom never watched it and I'm at work when it's on! I certainly would never buy a book just because her seal of approval is on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several people have recommended A Fine Balance to me. I am about 5 pages away from finishing, and it happens to be excellent, but it has that big fat O on the front so initally I was skeptical. I won't typically pick a book out that has her little letter on it. I refuse.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS