The Weekend

I can work books into anything. Watch. Be amazed at my nerdiness

Saturday 

I started off the weekend with a hike from 50 Hikes in Orange County with my brother. We headed off on hike #8, Guna Peak and Emerald Canyon. Unfortunately we didn't actually make it to Emerald Canyon, since it was a 10 mile out and back trail (we turned around at about an hour in). Ordinarily I'd feel bad about cutting something short, but 5 miles over some serious hills is no joke (well, unless you're comparing it to Half Dome...). I will definitely be returning to Laguna Wilderness Park again- the trails were extremely well-maintained and there were enough people to make you feel safe, but not so many you felt like you're at Disneyland.  The views of Laguna Beach were great:



Later that night my husband and I went to see Argo, the new Ben Affleck movie about the Iranian hostages. It was really good, which is saying a lot, since I kinda sorta hate watching movies (miraculously, this is our third movie in a month; we saw my pick End of Watch, and then his, Looper). I left wanting to read more about the crisis, and, sure enough, Tony Mendez (the guy who comes up with the idea to stage a fake movie) has written a few books, including Master of Disguise: My Secret Life in the CIA and Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History. I'm more inclined to go for the second, just because I'd like to learn about this particular incident rather than his whole life. 

Sunday

First of all, I have to say I'm very lucky to have friends who are willing to go "do things" with me. I have friends that go to readings (people are finally seeing the appeal), friends that go out to bars, friends that go get cupcakes, friends that go to yoga, and friends that go to museums with me (and a few particularly awesome ones that will do all of the above). Today was a museum day- one of my oldest friends and I went to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) this morning and were able to see most of the exhibits. My absolute favorite was Metropolis II, which you can see more about in the video below:


We also saw their collection of Picasso's, some of Kandinsky's (love him), and Andy Warhol's can of soup. This mid-eighteenth century book from India also caught my eye- the picture doesn't do the intricate carvings justice. 


And now I'm off to sit on my ass and (hopefully) watch the Giants win game number one against the Cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS