A Bookish Q & A



I don't normally do these sorts of things, but I'm home with a bad head cold, so I figured why the heck not? Fifty-five ways to interject my opinion into the world- I saw win. I saw the questions on Lianne's blog, who got it from Chrissy's, who got it from the Literary Lollipop, who got it from her cousin's gardener's sister's hairdresser. Or something like that.

1. Favorite childhood book:
Charlotte's Web by EB White- oh, Wilbur.

2. What are you reading right now?
The Secret Place by Tana French- it's a review copy and I cannot get into it. And because I can't get into it I'm not reading often. And because I'm not reading often I feel like an illiterate poser.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
If I used the library how could I continue to grow my personal collection? Some people collect coffee mugs, some people collect chicken figurines, I collect books.

4. Bad book habit: 
Forcing myself to finish books I start, even if I don't enjoy them.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
See above (number 3)

6. Do you have an e-reader?
As if. The horror.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I've tried reading more than one at once, and I always end up sticking with one until I see it through. Now, I don't even try. I'm a monogomist.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Not really, I'm far too lazy. If anything, I think about how I could incorporate something into a post or how I'll review it.

9. Least favorite book you read this year:
Either Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (ummm Team Epidural) or The House at the End of Hope Street.

10. Favorite book you've read this year:
How about my favorite three: The Goldfinch, Oryx and Crake, and The Snow Child.

11. How often do you read outside of your comfort zone?
A lot of what falls outside of my comfort zone are books I simply don't like- YA, historical fiction, fantasy, etc... Books that I think have potential for me to enjoy, but are outside of my comfort zone, include classics, travelogues, and graphic novels. I maybe read one of these a few times a year.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Literary fiction. And lately, high quality kid's books, haha.

13. Can you read on the bus?
If I were to take the bus I probably could, unless someone was talking really loud, the scenery was interesting, or I had my baby with me.

14. Favorite place to read:
By the pool, at a coffee shop, the UCLA campus.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I avoid it. There are maybe three people I can trust.

16. Do you dog-ear your books?
Nope! They feel pain!

17. Do you write notes on the margins of your books?
I only did when I was a student, now I use post-its (that's generally just for books I read for book club or ones that I'm about to teach).

18. Do you break/crack the spines?
Not on purpose.

19. What is your favorite language to read?
The only one I can: English.

20. What makes you love a book?
The Literary Trifecta: good writing, interesting plot, characters with depth.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
I have to think that it's great, but also that it's a good fit for the person I'm talking to.

22. Favorite genre:
Literary fiction.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did):
Graphic novels or memoirs.

24. Favorite biography:
I've read part of Che Guevera's, which I thought was really intriguing. I also read Cher's when I was in middle school (yup, as in "Turn Back Time" Cher) and I remember being really fascinated with her life. I'm serious.

25. Have you read a self-help book (and was it helpful)? 
I read The Happiness Project (actually listened to) and thought that as a whole it wasn't anything groundbreaking. There were a few parts that I did take to heart, though, like not "saving things for a special occasion," like perfume or good jewelry. 

26. Favorite cook book:
The tried and true Better Homes and Gardens one.

27. The most inspirational book you've read this year:
The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got There

28. Favorite reading snack:
Wine. Baked goods.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience:
I'm not sure if that has ever truly happened, but I've disagreed with a lot of the hype before. For example, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Hunger Games.

30. How often do you agree with the critics about a book?
Honestly, I'm not sure. Depends on the critics.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I feel passionately about giving honest reviews.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which would it be?
Italian

33. Most intimidating book I've ever read:
Don Delillo's Underworld. We have quite the history.

34. Most intimidating book I'm to nervous to begin:
Ulysses

35. Favorite Poet:
Ugh. I'm not a reader of poetry, but I've probably read Plath the most, since I teach it.

36. How many books do you generally have checked out of the library at a given time?
Zero

37. How often do you return books to the library unread?
Never, because I don't go.

38. Favorite fictional character:
Maybe TS Spivet, from The Selected Work of TS Spivet. We're kindred spirits.

39. Favorite fictional villain:
Not sure

40. Books I'm most likely to bring on vacation:
Paperbacks- they weigh less.

41. The longest I've gone without reading:
No idea! Probably no more than a week.

42. What distracts you easily when you're reading?
Sawyer, housework, my phone

43. Name a book you could not finish:
I try to finish them all. It's a blessing and a curse.

44. Favorite film adaption of a novel:
The Harry Potter books

45. The most disappointing film adaptation:
The Great Gatsby (Baz' version)

46. Most money I've ever spent in a bookstore at one time:
Probable close to $150 on Amazon (not counting text books for college)

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through it?
Death or the promise of money for doing so.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized? 
I like to keep my life organized.

50. Do you prefer to keep your books when done, or give them away?
Call me selfish, but I would never give a book away.

51. Are there any books that you've been avoiding?
I don't think so!

52. Name a book that made you angry:
Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

53. A book I didn't expect to like but did:
Me Before You by JoJo Moyes (not a fan of her others, though)

54. A book I expected to like but didn't:
The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth- a bit too contrived for me.

55. Favorite guilt-free guilty-pleasure reading:
Gomi.com or People.com

Your turn!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Amanda Ripley came to speak to a group of teachers here a few months ago...pretty bummed that I missed out on hearing her...really want to read her book now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gomi. I love it. Some people says it too harsh, but whatever, they just don't understand humor.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS