Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts


Hello! And happy Thanksgiving Eve, if that's your thing. I've got the Day of the Turkey on the brain, so that's what you're getting today. Make sure to link below and tag back if you play along!

1.  The past two years we have had hosted 20+ people at our home for Thanksgiving and I've done a majority of the cooking. This year we're having Scott's parents and his sister's family, plus my brother, bringing the grand total to ten, if you count Sawyer. I'm only doing the turkey, gravy, stuffing, and pies. I know it seems like a lot, but it's a lot less than the past.

2. I love making pies, I do, but I hate making new ones that I can't sample before serving. They might suck. Who are we kidding? The ones I've made before might suck.

3. This year's pies (I make them from scratch- anything less won't do): caramel apple, classic pumpkin, and then pumpkin with a pecan streusel topping. The last one is the new one and the pumpkin base is different than normal (it has cream cheese). We'll see.

4. It took me a little over 3 hours to bake the pies, and crust, and clean up my kitchen. Sawyer played my himself the entire time. How did I get this lucky? He rolled around the living room for two and a half hours, playing with toys and the dogs (and learning to kick the wall), and then in his little exersaucer for the last thirty minutes. I am so thankful and lucky that I have such an easy-going little guy.

5. My house is a disaster. It has to be cleaned by 2 pm tomorrow.

6. There are very few people that I have over to my house that I don't think are judging me for... everything. Seriously. Like one friend and my brother. Everyone else I'm convinced is silently critiquing my housekeeping, cooking, and now mothering. And yet I love to host dinners. Riddle me that.

7. I love this video about cooking turkeys. It's so true.


8. Before the pie madness started, we went to the park and played on the swings for awhile (before my like 4th trip to the store in five days). This is the third time since we went on break, actually. The weather has been great and we have a park right now the road. I foresee many future hours there in the years to come.

9. I serve dinner on paper plates. But the nice ones that don't require you to double-up. We also use plastic cutlery and Solo cups. THE FOOD STILL TASTES THE SAME DAMMIT!

10. Despite the fact that I've cooked decent food and so on and so forth the only thing people seem to remember about past Thanksgivings is the year I burnt myself, pretty severely, on the hip with turkey drippings (I still have scars). Haters.  


4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Sounds like it'll be a busy but fun one ;)

    Mmm, I could use some pie now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pies looks yummy! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! Yours sounds wonderful...enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm that caramel apple pie sounds so good -- Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS