November (and October) Reads

It's been two months since I've done my monthly review round-up, so it feels good to be back. October was a horrible reading month- Tana French's book took up most of the month because I really didn't enjoy it, therefore had trouble sitting down to read. I then started reading I Am Radar by Reif Larsen, and am really enjoying it, but I put it on pause to get through a few other things for work and review purposes. At least November proved to be a very productive month! 

October

The Secret Place by Tana French
464 pages
I had heard such good things about Into the Woods, that when Penguin offered me a copy of this book I decided to give it a try. I wrote about it more here, but I really didn't enjoy this mystery- it was horribly slow and just didn't didn't impress me in terms of writing or story.

Verdict: Guilty... of not being good

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
256 pages
This is a reread (for the third time, I think) for work. I am currently teaching it and love the writing, the plot, and the discussions it leads to with the students. The reader follows Janie throughout her  twenties, thirties, and forties as she marries, travels around the South, and learns about herself. I'll have lessons posted for this one later this month.

Verdict: While not for everyone, since the dialect can be a little bit of a challenge, it is definitely a beautiful read

Total: 720 pages

November

Animal Farm by George Orwell
126 pages
1984 by George Orwell
328 pages
A Brave New World by Alduos Huxley
288 pages
I wrote about all of these when I did by post on Dystopian Literature, so you can check out what I said here, if you're interested

Verdict: I'm happy I finally bit the bullet and read them. I feel so much more culturally literate now. Plus I can stop faking it, now.

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion
352 pages
I wasn't fully impressed by the first book, The Rosie Project, but did think it had a few fun quirks and turns. Plus I was a little curious about Don and Rosie, and the book was free. While some questions are answered and you do get to hear about the next chapter in their life (a pregnancy), it was contrived, thin, and almost a parody of itself at times. 

Verdict: Pass

The Book of Unknown Americans by Christina Henriquez
304 pages
If you enjoyed TC Boyle's Tortilla Curtain, then you'll probably appreciate this book too. Henriquez follows a family that moves to the United States from Mexico so that their teenage daughter, who has a traumatic brain injury, can receive a better educaton. They must deal with the trials and tribulations of being poor, not knowing the language, and lonely. Henriquez also gives time to some of the other immigrants living in the apartment complex.

Verdict: I really thought this was an interesting book, albeit a tad over-dramatic (maybe? maybe not?) on an occasion or two. Those that are super conservative or have very strict policies on immigration might not enjoy this one.

Total: 1395 pages
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS