About NaNoWriMo...

A few years ago I successfully completed NaNoWriMo (they host a writing project every November that challenges people to write a short novel- 40,000 words). A colleague did it as well and we had fun comparing our total and motivating each other. I felt creative, inspired, and it made me cling to some hope that maybe someday I could become a world-famous novelist whose wardrobe consisted purely of Anthro dresses and was contractually obligated to tour awesome cities for readings. So fun. So unrealistic.

Here's the thing- the process was great, but the product, not so much. I didn't pursue finishing it (40,000 words is not a novel; it's a novella) and I ended up not really liking where I went with it because I felt so pressured into finishing it.

I'm fairly convinced that I'm not going to do it again this year, but the competitive side of me is trying to take over (so typical). So, in order to sort out my super complicated thoughts on this really critical, life-altering decision (I kid), I made one of my favorite things ever: 

I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I need to figure out some sort of plan to start writing for fun again (other than blogging). It's like everyone's lotto fantasy- you can never win if you don't play. 

3 comments:

  1. I completed NaNoWriMo once. I just can't stand editing it, and actually would rather start from scratch. I did the year before last too, and almost completed- but I'm happier with the results of that one- although I've barely touched it since. I sort of need NaNoWriMo to stop me procrastinating. Maybe something like saying you have to spend an amount of time each day writing would be better- maybe with a community type support system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your chart...good points made. I love your competitive spirit while totally understanding that you may struggle with time to write this time around. Kids take a lot of time...and then you may be too tired to stay up and write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly can't decide either. I have done it the last two years and it does have its pros and cons. I just cant see myself having time to fully participate this year and I'm not sure the pressure and such is worth it. I have to decide soon though because I don't even have an outline or anything, just an idea floating in my head. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS