Top Ten Tuesday- Fall TBR



This week The Broke and the Bookish ask us what we will be reading this fall.  I honestly don't think I'll get through ten in two months (I consider December 1 the start of winter), but I guess one can wish. I'm horrible at predicting these things, but here are some guesses based on book club, what I'll be teaching, and totally unscientific hunches:

1. 'Master Harold'... and the boys by Athol Fugard- I'll be teaching this South African play (that I hate typing because of how it's punctuated and italicized) in about a month or so. 

2. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens- I am advising a student who is doing his IB Extended Essay on this and Great Expectations (which I am currently reading). I am not a huge Dickens fan, but I've never read it and probably should.

3. The Sellout by Paul Beatty- This is our book club selection for work next month. 

4. Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer- I know this has received some harsh reviews, but I want to see for myself. Plus I am going to his reading later this week (!!!), so I'm sure I'll feel like I should.

5. Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg- I have had this for awhile and it's always one I almost grab to read. It does seem pretty depressing, though, so I'll have to make sure I'm not already in a crappy mood. 

6. This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett- I think I might try to do a sort of author study of all her works, so this would fit in nicely. 

7. 13 Ways of Looking at the Novel by Jane Smiley- I have had this book for FOREVER and I know I could pull some thing from it for work.

8. Big Girls Don't Cry- The Election that Changed Everything for the American Woman by Rebecca Traister- I need to read this before the election. I feel like if Clinton loses this book will lose something, somehow. 

9. The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Mara- Short stories are great for busy times.

10. The Turner House by Angela Flournoy- Given current events this book seems timely and important. 

12 comments:

  1. A very unique and diverse list! I hope you love them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes feel I should pay more attention to the classic authors like Dickens. I've not read a lot of his (only A Christmas Carol and Great Expectations). Your list looks like it is going to take a lot of time to get through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished the Foer this morning. LOVED. IT. Of course, I don't want to talk it up too much but honestly, I laughed, I cried and I figure, what more can you ask for in a book?

    Oddly, I've had the Clegg in my TBR stack for ages as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Tale of Two Cities is one of my favorite books of all time :-) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked but didn't love A Tale of Two Cities...of the Dickens I've read, Great Expectations is my favorite. But Two Cities is definitely worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Mara is an intriguing title. I need to check it out. Happy reading!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/09/top-ten-tuesday-books-on-my-fall-tbr.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed about short stories being great for busy times. Definitely perfect when I was going through reading slumps or busy times at work. Hope you enjoy The Tsar of Love and Techno! :) I've been meaning to re-read A Tale of Two Cities, I thought it was interesting enough; despite the closing sentence being so famous, it's quite haunting.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your Ann Patchett study. I tend to do the same thing. So far, I've completed studies of:
    Liane Moriarty, Laura Dave and am working my way through JoJo Moyes books. I love finding a new fav author and reading my way through their writing career and seeing how their skills grow and develop.
    My Fall TBR at https://runwright.net/2016/09/27/fall-tbr/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually just read A Tale of Two Cities this year for the first time! It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but still took me ages to get through. I listened to the audiobook narrated by Simon Vance and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got Great Expectations coming up next. It's a reread and one of my least favorite Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities, however is my favorite...IMO his best, though the consensus is David Copperfield.
    My fall (and winter) reads: http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2016/09/top-ten-tuesday-september-27-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should really read more by Dickens because I enjoyed A Christmas Carol by him, A Tale of Two Cities is at the top of my tbr. Hope you'll enjoy all these novels! :)
    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS