Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

[oh what? It's 70 degrees? Clearly sweats weather]


Hi there. Link up, link back, say hey!

1. I am reading Jonathan Safran Foer's newest book and at one point the characters' lives are described as a sort of intro for a script. It made me think, what would my home and life be described like? It's sort of disturbing, but also fascinating. How do outsiders see us? Our dwellings?  

2. Speaking of the book, Here I Am, I am about half way through and am liking it. I know that there is a pretty wide range of opinions on it, but so far I'm not regretting my choice.

3. If we're going to be honest, I am having a hard time getting out of  my post-election funk. But here's the thing- I don't necessarily want to be done with it. I am not okay with the fact that I have students who are fearful for their families, friends who are worried about being mistreated because of their race or sexual identities, and family members nervous about the future of their disability/social security/insurance. When we become complacent we might as well become accepting.

4. Some ass stole my credit card number over the weekend and now I am waiting around for a new card. It's so annoying and I feel like there is a hole in my heart right now. I am also waiting on my new driver's license. If neither come soon I will have to start using... what's that word again? Oh yes. Cash. Or the bartering system, I guess. 

5. I had a very detailed dream the other night that me, my mom, and my sister were in Vegas and I hand't made hotel or restaurant reservations ahead of time and there was nothing available. I was frantic in my dream and I woke up very disturbed. What does it mean? I never, ever, ever fly be the seat of my pants when it comes to travel or fine-dining. I obviously must be having control issues... What else is new? Ha.

6. I took Sawyer to get a flu shot today and he took it like a champ. He hasn't cried for a shot since his newborn days, but given his growing opinion on life in general, I wasn't sure how he would react. He glared at the lady, said "ow," got up, told her "bye bye" and then bent down to kiss his thigh where the shot was as we walked down the hall. 

7. I just finished rereading Athol Fugard's "Master Harold"... and the boys for work (I promise I am punctuating that correctly, it's a stylistic nuance of importance, if anyone is concerned) and my students seemed to appreciate the cultural relevance today, despite the book being set in 1950s South Africa. 

8. I am glad Rory reminded me to pick up Hillbilly Elegy- I need to understand...

9. I am trying to buckle the eff down this week and grade essays like a crazy woman. I think I have gotten somewhere over 100 done in 2.5 days and tomorrow I might have to head to Starbucks after Sawyer is in bed to finish what I wanted to before Friday, since that is the start of our Thanksgiving break (ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod it's almost heeeeeeere). I won't be caught up, but I had a goal and I want to make it, dammit.

10. 75% of Target shopping trips end in Christmas decor being bought. It's totally Sawyer's fault. 

3 comments:

  1. 1. I really enjoyed this book.
    3. Keep fighting (the world is behind you, as is most of the US I think!).
    4. Same happened to me recently - the pain is having to set up all the direct debits again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to get a new credit card earlier this year after it was used to buy something in Ireland. It takes forever to get a new one which is really inconvenient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded Hillbilly Elegy last week...I guess I should read it sooner rather than later.

    I'm still struggling with the post-election nightmare, too, and worrying. I keep hoping that there will be a last-minute change...like, it was all a mistake! We WILL use the popular vote instead of the Electoral College! Yeah, that will happen. Sigh.

    Horrible about your credit card theft!

    Sawyer's reaction to the shot was cute...glaring, followed by "ow." Then kissing his thigh.

    Poor little tykes can't possibly understand why people hurt them on purpose!

    If we focus on the kids, the holidays, and reading...maybe we can make it through.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS